Saturday 8 June 2013

I heart pattern testing: Heidi & Finn Tennis Skort

I was lucky enough to be selected to test another Heidi and Finn pattern! YAY!! This time it was the Tennis Skort. A cute little knit skirt with built in safety shorts. 

I was really looking forward to trying this one out and I was not disappointed. As I have come to expect from Heidi and Finn patterns it was easy to follow her quality step by step photos/instructions. I used my overlocker (serger) for most of it, but she gives good instructions for using a sewing machine alone if you prefer. It was really quick to whip up and doesn't take very much fabric. The pattern pieces match up well (really bugs me when patterns don't quite fit together). I made the 18month size and it fits Eloise perfectly. It's winter here is Aus so we had a quick photo shoot in our [overgrown] yard. I am really developing confidence with knits now and I can attribute much of that to some great Heidi and Finn patterns. 


I made this cute blue/pink/grey one and then decided if it is a tennis skort she needed a top to go with it to make her look like a little tennis star :) So I drafted this raglan T pattern using a regular T-shirt she already had. It turns out the T-shirt I used to draft the pattern is one of her snug fitting ones so the end result is quite fitted but looks pretty tennis-y to me?




Then I made a blue and grey skort and made the shorts out of this striped blue/white. I don't think my photos do this justice, its so soft and blue. I LOVE blue and really LOVE blue with grey.  I made two different tops to go with this one. They are from the suburban basic T shirt pattern from Terra's Treasures. These are the first ones I've made using her pattern... They will NOT be the last ones. I am really happy with them and they fit perfectly and I have the pattern in sizes infant - 10. I'm planning to make the boys some as soon as I convince hubby I need [more]  fabric :)



I recommend the Heidi and Finn Tennis Skort pattern, it suits any seweist from beginner to advanced, is quick and easy to put together and fits beautifully. If you're like I was and avoiding knit patterns because "knits are hard" then jump in and get this pattern and give it a go. To be honest it is easier than using wovens, knits are very forgiving.




I'd love to hear what you think? 

Kerry xx

2 comments: